This year, ATH has decided to take advantage of its diverse and complementary programme combining music, dance and drama to introduce its first ever Musical Theatre class.
Musical Theatre is a form of theatrical performance combining these three disciplines. The skill in creating and presenting a musical comes in delivering the story and emotional content of a piece through spoken word, song and movement as a unified
General class content
Students will have the opportunity to work with three different teachers, one from each discipline:
- Work on construction of characters and dramatic situations through theatrical improvisation and text
- Develop individual skill capacity both in terms of self and self-confidence, as well as part of a group and member of a cast
- Learn a basic knowledge of jazz dance technique specific to musical theatre
- Combine narrative interpretation and a strong performance style
- Learn basic vocal techniques, discovering the diverse sounds their voice can create
- Explore and enjoy the fulfillment of vocal polyphony, developing listening abilities while singing as a cast
With a main factor of ATH’s ethos being to train and utilise both a physical and mental approach to performance, creating a strong mind-body connection, Musical Theatre class is the perfect opportunity to combine these concepts and improve students’ overall performance skills.
- Students will present a work-in-progress at the ATH WINTER FEST in addition to creating an abridged version of a full musical as part of P.A.S Festival.