ATH has been training a team specialized in Forum Theatre who can intervene in any organization to work on sensitive issues.
WHAT IS FORUM THEATRE?
Forum theatre was developed by a Brazilian theatre maker called Augusto Boal and has been used successfully in many different places and formats around the world.
The purpose was to use it as a way of exploring solutions to real-life dilemmas in a safe environment and stimulate action, discussion, and debate.
WHY CAN FORUM THEATRE HELP FIND SOLUTIONS TO SENSITIVE ISSUES?
- The performance presents the stories of community members, which allows them to be more invested in the story.
- Audiences become ‘spect- actors’ rather than spectators; This gives an audience member who could relate to the scene or the oppressed protagonist a sense of liberation, knowing that they can overcome their oppression.
- It motivates the community to question its behavior, encouraging agency, and potential change.
STRUCTURE OF THE SHOW
- The session begins with a short performance, either rehearsed or improvised, which contains demonstrations of social or political problems in front of the targeted audience.
- A facilitator holds an impartial view of the interventions, and asks the audience to evaluate what happened at the end of the intervention.
- At the conclusion, often catastrophic, the play will begin again with the audience being able to replace or add to the characters on stage to present their interventions; alternate solutions to the problems faced.
HOW TO BOOK THIS PERFORMANCE?
Please contact us at email@example.com to arrange an appointment with our director to discuss your interests and needs.
We look forward to hearing from you, and furthering our work in the community!